All automobiles have 12V batteries to run different electrical equipment in a car. The batteries are usually lead-acid based for they are charged and discharged on a regular basis. The life of these batteries is generally years. Even if you take a good care of your car, the batteries get rusted and need replacements. Sometimes, you completely drain out the battery for any reason like keeping the lights on when ignition is off. This is the situation that affects the life of your car battery. You need to jump your car battery with another electric source. When you find your electrical systems to have problems due to dying battery, it is the time to replace it.
When to replace your car battery
If your battery is dead following signs and symptoms can be seen;
- No dome light when opening the door or no door chime with keys inserted
- Headlights and radio won’t turn on, or headlights are very dim
- When you turn the ignition key, nothing happens
- Often require a jump
- You can hear the starter motor when you turn on the ignition key, but the engine doesn’t start
- Battery warning light is blinking or stays on
- Engine cranks slowly, or even stops
- Swollen battery case
Having a fully-functioning car battery is critical for optimal car operation. You can keep moving with a dying car battery but it is not recommended. It becomes difficult with latest editions of cars as they are more demanding for power. The dying car battery cannot just hurt your plans but also have the probability of getting into an accident. If you still have to drive, make sure to travel during day and stay on less trafficked roads.
How to change a car battery
Changing a car battery is not a hectic work. It hardly takes 15 to 20 minutes to replace a car battery. The step by step procedure for replacing a car battery can be;
- Undo the battery clamps (always remove the negative terminal first)
- Undo the battery fitting
- Lift out the battery (be warned that it is heavy)
- Clear the tray
- Place the new battery
- Clamp the terminals (always fix positive terminal first)
Car battery replacement
If you still need help, we can also send a mobile mechanic for car battery replacement or installation at your home. You can simply look for mobile car battery replacement near me to get your car battery replacement at your doorstep from our mechanic nearby.